Sparkling Wine Chiboust with Berry Jelly
Sparkling Wine Chiboust
with Berry Jelly
- 20ml (4 tsp) water
- 3 large egg whites
- 10ml (2 tsp) icing sugar
- 50ml fresh cream, whipped and chilled
- 45ml (3 tbsp) raspberry coulis (buy this ready made)
- rose petals, to garnish
1.For the berry jelly, mix the berries, strawberries, castor sugar and rose water in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water on a low heat and leave for 1 hour until the berries have released all their juices. Remove the bowl from the heat and refrigerate for an hour. Strain the juice through muslin cloth and discard the pulp.
2. Soften the gelatine in cold water. Gently heat 50ml of the berry juice in a small saucepan. Squeeze out the gelatine leaves and stir them into the warm berry juice until dissolved. Mix the remaining cold berry juice with the gelatine mixture. Line 3 small baking trays with plastic wrap and pour the jelly in to a depth of 1cm. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
3. For the chiboust, soften the gelatine leaves in cold water. Bring the wine to the boil in a heavy-based saucepan. Remove from the heat and reserve 50ml in a separate saucepan. Squeeze out the gelatine, add to the remaining wine and stir until dissolved. Keep in a warm place until ready to use.
4. Whisk the egg yolks with 100g of the castor sugar until pale and doubled in volume. Pour the reserved 50ml wine into the egg yolk mixture. Cook over a very low heat in a heavy-based saucepan, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the custard coats the back of the spoon, about 10 – 12 minutes. Stir in the wine and gelatine mixture, remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve. Set aside